Welcome to Vito and Vera, Little Rock’s first plant-based culinary experiences! Chef Alicia Watson creates strongly local, seasonal, organic, vegan, and gluten-free adventures. We make Esselstyn Diet and plant strong meals to go.
Click here to visit website and order: Vito & Vera – Plant-Based Culinary Wellness
Be ready to be TRANSFORMED!
MBSR Classes will be offered beginning Spring of 2020! Open to the Public and the Community.
Learn how to develop the practical skills and techniques that can help you cultivate positivity, inner strength and peace, which can be useful in times of difficulty, stress, illness and pain.
We offer the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Program that was developed by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical School in the 1979. MBSR is the gold-standard and one of the most research-validated mindfulness intervention in the scientific literature. The UAMS MBSR Program is an intensive eight-week, nine-session training in mindfulness awareness. Classes meet weekly for about two hours and for an all-day session towards the end of the course. The all-day session allows participants to immerse themselves more deeply in the practices of mindfulness meditation and mindful movement. The MBSR program will enable participants to systematically deploy these tools as well as to mindfully explore healthier relationships with the day-to-day challenges and demands of life. We offer a peaceful, safe and supportive learning environment for all program participants. Our classes are designed to be experiential and the didactic instructions are achieved through the following:
- Guided mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful movement exercises
- Group dialogue and discussions aimed at enhancing awareness in everyday life
- Mentored instructions on MBSR meditation practices
- Printed and digital materials and resources, such as workbooks, MP3 files, among others.
UAMS MBSR Course Overview Drop-in/Web Sessions
If you are interested in learning more about the UAMS MBSR Course and would like to talk to someone about this opportunity, please attend any of the MBSR Overview Drop-in Sessions, or you can call into the Sessions using the conference details below.
The MBSR Overview Sessions will be held at the UAMS College of Public Health (Rahn Building room G230), 220 Campus Drive Little Rock, AR 72205. Parking is available at Parking Deck #2 across the Rahn Building. For directions, please go to this link.
- Date/Times/Location in UAMS Campus:
– March 10, 2020 from 11:30am to 12:30pm (Room RAHN G230)
– March 17, 2020 from 11:30am to 12:30pm (Room RAHN G230)
- Web/Conference Call: (TBD)
SPRING 2020 Schedule
- Orientation: Wednesday, April 1, 2020; 5:30 to 7:00 pm (Room IDW 115A)
- Classes 1 through 8: Every Wednesday, April 8 to May 27, 2020; 5:30 to 8:00 pm (Room IDW 115A)
- All-day Class and Retreat: Saturday, May 23, 2020; 8:00 am to 3:30 pm (Room IDW 115A)
FALL 2020 Schedule
- Orientation: Tuesday, September 29, 2020; 5:30 to 7:00 pm (Room IDW 115A)
- Classes 1 through 8: Every Tuesday, October 6 to November 24, 2020; 5:30 to 8:00 pm (Room IDW 115A)
- All-day Class and Retreat: Saturday, November 21, 2020; 8:00 am to 3:30 pm (Room IDW 115A)
VENUE: All classes will be held at the UAMS I. Dodd Wilson Education Building (IDW) in UAMS, 116 Hooper Drive Little Rock, AR 72205. Get Parking and Directions Information
To REGISTER for the MBSR Course, or if you have questions, please email Dr. Pele Yu at FBYu@uams.edu.
Orientation Class Overview
Attending the Orientation Class is necessary part of the MBSR Program (up to 1.5 hours). During Orientation, you will be able to meet the course instructor and the other program participants. You will also learn about what Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is and you will have the opportunity to clarify aspects of the program and to explore further whether this program is a good fit for you. More importantly, you will have the opportunity to experience some of the mindfulness tools that can be learned during the class. This is also the time for you to confirm your enrollment, registration and reserve your spot in the program.
All-Day Class/Retreat Overview
The UAMS MBSR Program includes an All-Day Class, or a Retreat (up to 7.5 hours), usually on a weekend towards the end of the course. During the All Day Class, the participants will be able to apply the tools learned during the regular classes in a Retreat-style and format. The activities during the Retreat is designed to assist the participants in firmly and effectively establishing the use of mindfulness across multiple situations in their lives as well as preparing them to leverage mindful practices beyond the MBSR program. Lunch will be offered during the All Day Class.
Example Course Outline
- This session gives an overview of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences MBSR Program.
- Meet your classmates, instructor, and review logistics and expectations for the course.
- WEEK 1
- Learn the theoretical underpinnings of mind-body medicine and its utility in daily living
- Introduction to Present Moment awareness through guided mindful eating, mindful breathing, and the body-scan exercises.
- WEEK 2
- Understanding how we respond to stressful scenarios and learn how apply the body-scan technique to cultivate self-awareness of how we react to stressful situations.
- Bringing awareness to how perceive the present-moment and how we view/perceive the world around us; learning the possibility of changing the way we perceive and respond to difficulties and challenges will impact the short- and long-term effects of stress on our mind and body.
- WEEK 3
- Learn about other mindfulness practices such as mindful hatha yoga, sitting meditation, and walking meditation.
- Time to share your experiences with formal practice and integrating mindfulness into your day-to-day living. Learn to connect with pleasant moments found in daily life.
- WEEK 4
- Learn to cultivate curiosity and open awareness to the full range of experience, and allow for the ability to develop attention regulation and flexibility.
- Development the ability to concentrate and systematically expand your field of awareness.
- WEEK 5
- Being familiar with the foundations of mindfulness, students will learn about techniques that can be applied to specific challenges to cultivating mindful practices.
- Learn about Loving Kindness Meditation
- WEEK 6
- Focusing on mindfulness strategies to enhance inner resources that can lead to Resilience or “stress hardiness”, which is the ability to return to equilibrium after stressful situations.
- Learn about the fundamentals of interpersonal mindfulness, cultivating the awareness and presence during situations where communication is often laced with strong emotions.
- ALL-DAY RETREAT
- This is an all-day silent retreat allowing experience of a longer-form and deeper meditation practice.
- Allow the participants the opportunity to put into practice all the skills learned in a supportive community environment.
- WEEK 7
- Learn how to integrate Mindfulness in daily life through ones own experience
- Learn how to maintain the discipline and flexibility of daily practice as circumstances change over the course of your life.
- WEEK 8
- Learn how to carry the momentum forward, acknowledging ones progress and be able to develop sustainable mindfulness practices after the program.
- Learn about the resources that are available to support your evolving practice
Ocean Robbins is co-founder & CEO of the 450,000+ member Food Revolution Network. He has spoken in person to more than 200,000 people in live events, and he has organized and facilitated hundreds of seminars and gatherings for leaders from 65+ nations. Ocean founded Youth for Environmental Sanity (YES!) at age 16, and directed it for the next 20 years.
He has served as adjunct professor for Chapman University, and is a recipient of the national Jefferson Award for Outstanding Public Service, the Freedom’s Flame Award, the Harmon Wilkinson Award, and many other honors. He was selected by Time and Audubon as among the heroes of the new millennium, and is author of 31-Day Food Revolution: Simple Steps To Heal Your Body, Feel Great, And Transform The World (Grand Central Life & Style, January 2018).
The Blue & You Fitness Challenge is here! The Challenge provides UAMS with an opportunity to rally together for fitness and compete against other teams of our size. The Blue & You Fitness Challenge is a three-month (March 1 – May 31) contest. The Challenge aims to prove you can…
Continue reading here: Blue and You Fitness Challenge 2020! – Get Healthy UAMS
(I was thrilled to find this a few minutes ago while Googling around. A UAMS employee borrowed some yoga mats from Ottenheimer Fitness Center yesterday to use for their first department yoga class to be led by a fellow employee who’s also a yoga practitioner. Thanks to her, I found out about UAMS’ involvement with the Blue & You Fitness Challenge – yet another encouraging activity in which they are participating.)
Robby Barbaro is a seeker. After being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 12, Barbaro set off on a quest to optimize his health, buck conventional beliefs and thrive in spite of his illness. His drive for truth has become his life’s work.
“It’s not the banana’s fault,” he stresses, when it comes to the confusion and lack of understanding around eating fruit and managing diabetes. Barbaro is the co-founder of Mastering Diabetes, a comprehensive program developed to help people both understand the science of insulin resistance and take control of their health through a low-fat plant-based diet. Together with Dr. Cyrus Khambatta, they just released their first book by the same name.
Type II diabetes, in particular, is preventable and even reversible if you put the right lifestyle habits into play. And, contrary to what you may have heard, all forms of this devastating disease can be mitigated with a whole-foods, plant-based diet. If you’re willing to communicate and be vulnerable, he says, you can optimize your health and enjoy this wonderful diet of abundance and not deprivation.
Plant-Strong Podcast: http://plantstrongpodcast.com
Mastering Diabetes Website: http://masteringdiabetes.org
Mastering Diabetes new book: https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Diab…
Know your numbers! Plant-Strong has partnered with the nation’s leader in direct-to-consumer lab testing.
For a list of recommended tests and a money-saving bundle, visit our website: http://www.plantstrong.com/bloodwork
Support for this week’s episode comes from Wild Earth Dog Food – use promo code: PLANTSTRONG for 40% order: http://www.wildearth.com
From Dr. John McDougall:
|Get your copy of Mastering Diabetes|
|Did you know that in today’s world diabetes affects more than 115 million people in the United States?Unfortunately, that’s a scary statistic because it means that diabetes affects 1 in every 3 people – and with every year the numbers keep growing.Whether you’re living with any form of diabetes or whether diabetes affects a loved one – it’s important to know that the food you eat is the most important determinant of your overall health.|
That’s why we’re proud to support the work of Cyrus Khambatta, PhD and Robby Barbaro, MPH, authors of the new book Mastering Diabetes – The Revolutionary Method to Reverse Insulin Resistance in Type 1, Type 1.5, Type 2, Prediabetes, and Gestational Diabetes.
Mastering Diabetes is available wherever books are sold: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Books A Million, Hudson Booksellers, IndieBound, Powell’s, Target, Walmart and your local book store!
You can also purchase a digital version where ebooks are sold: Kindle, Apple Books, Nook, Google Play, and Kobo.
Additionally, you can purchase the audiobook read by Cyrus and Robby from Audible, Google Play and everywhere audiobooks are sold.In this groundbreaking book, you’ll discover:The science of insulin resistance that your doctor never taught youThe exact foods that cause high blood glucose, weight gain, high cholesterol, and high blood pressureThe long-term side effects of a ketogenic diet The exact foods to eat to achieve your best A1c, lose weight permanently, gain energy, and drop your chronic disease riskA simple formula to eat as much fruit, potatoes, and whole grains as you want!Cyrus and Robby have both been living with type 1 diabetes for more than 36 years combined, and have helped more than 3,000 people reverse insulin resistance using the groundbreaking method in this book that’s based on almost 100 years of scientific research.
The foreword is written by Dr. Neal Barnard, MD, who has performed multiple clinical trials demonstrating the tremendous power of a plant-based diet for reversing insulin resistance, promoting weight loss, and improving beta cell function.If you or a loved one suffers from diabetes, this book may be the answer you’ve been searching for!
Pick up your copy of Mastering Diabetes today (and prepare to be amazed)!
David Wallinga, the Food Dr., is a physician who’s spent his career advocating for environments and food supplies that support Americans’ health, rather than eroding them. He’s here today to talk about what most experts agree is one of today’s greatest threats to American’s health – the worsening epidemic of drug-resistant superbugs, and how the senseless overuse of precious antibiotics in producing conventional meats are helping render those antibiotics ineffective for you, your grandkids and for generations to come.
Dr. Wallinga currently is Senior Health Officer at the Natural Resources Defense Council. He also is co-founder of Healthy Food Action. He holds a Masters from Princeton University, and a medical degree from the University of Minnesota. You can read more about his work at https://www.nrdc.org/experts/david-wa… or follow him on Twitter @Food_Dr.
Maryn McKenna is an independent journalist and author who specializes in public health, global health and food policy. She is a Senior Fellow at the Schuster Institute for Investigative Journalism at Brandeis University and the author of the 2017 bestseller Big Chicken: The Incredible Story of How Antibiotics Created Modern Agriculture and Changed the Way the World Eats (National Geographic Books, Sept. 2017), named a Best Book of 2017 by Amazon, Science News, Smithsonian Magazine, Civil Eats, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the Toronto Globe and Mail, as well as an Essential Science Read by Wired.. Her 2015 TED Talk, “What do we do when antibiotics don’t work any more?”, has been viewed more than 1.5 million times and translated into 33 languages.
Connect with The Real Truth About Health http://www.therealtruthabouthealth.com/
Passionate believers in whole food plant based diets, no chemicals, minimal pharmaceutical drugs, no GMO’s. Fighting to stop climate change and extinction.
What’s The Downside To Eating A Little Bit Of Animal Products?
Brian Clement, Ph.D., Alan Goldhamer, D.C., Anna Maria Clement, Ph.D., Pamela Popper, N.D., Michael Klaper, M.D.
Passionate believers in whole food plant based diets, no chemicals, minimal pharmaceutical drugs, no GMO’s. Fighting to stop climate change and extinction.
Please support the sponsors of our conference http://www.therealtruthabouthealthcon…
Dear Community Champions,
I hope this email finds you well and Thriving!
As most of you know, The last few months have been very exciting here at Blue Zones with the release of Dan Buettner’s “Blue Zones Kitchen” which was the number 1 selling book on Amazon.com and on the NY Time best selling list for 8 weeks!
In addition, lots of new Blue Zones Projects and Blue Zones Activates starting around the country!
I wanted to share with you the media coverage over the last month per you area of interest being it research, Blue Zones Projects, Blue Zones Kitchen or Blue Zones Activate!
We look forward to continued conversations to bring these important collaborations to your community!
BLUE ZONES KITCHEN
BLUE ZONES BRANDS
BLUE ZONES PROJECTS / BLUE ZONES ACTIVATE